On any cruise vacation, there is nothing more exciting than stopping at all of the ports-of-
call. There’s sunny Puerto Rico, majestic St. Maarten/Martin, romantic Barbados, and the ever so rejuvenating U.S. Virgin Islands. Wherever the ship ties up, ports-of-call offer plenty for all guests-a wide variety of activities from duty-free shopping, to shore excursions, to just plain sightseeing. For first-time and minimally experienced cruisers, ports-of-call are not always their strong suit. There’s much to keep in mind before stepping off the ship. Here are the guests’ ten commandments:
- Thou shall immediately sign up for shore excursions that strike imminent interest. Popular shore excursions are often booked up quickly.
- Thou shall meet the tour group/guide fifteen minutes prior to the tour’s starting time. Shore excursions will commence immediately without tardy guests.
- Thou shall wear junk sneakers for all rain-or-shine shore excursions. Once done with the junk pair of sneakers, the stateroom attendant can properly dispose of them.
- Thou shall wear proper attire at all times. Whether on shore excursions, shopping, or plain sightseeing, inappropriate dress code can be frowned upon. All guests must consult a crew member or shore excursion desk for further information.
- Thou shall bring adequate sun tan lotion. Sun tan lotion is available in most duty-free shopping outlets.
- Thou shalt NOT purchase souvenirs from street vendors. Street-sold souvenirs are most likely counterfeit. Guests should shop only in well-recommended stores, or those recommended by the on-board shopping expert.
- Thou shalt NOT go shopping in any unknown areas not recommended by the cruise line. Guests should consult see the ship’s shopping expert for details before proceeding ashore.
- Thou shalt NOT leave the ship without a form of photo ID. Pier security at all ports-of-call is extremely tight. All guests must have in hand the following: Stateroom key cards and a form of photo ID (ex. driver’s license or student ID). They will be needed for re-boarding the ship.
- Thou shalt NOT get separated from your party while ashore. It is paramount for guests to implement a buddy system at all times.
- Thou shalt NOT be late for the “All on-board time”. All guests are responsible for being back on board the ship thirty minutes prior to sailing. The ship will sail without those guests who are no-show.